The Tamil University is the only university in India which is famous for its research activities and courses on Tamil Language. Tamil University is a pure research oriented university which offers M.Phil and Ph.D courses on Literature, Language, Sculpture, History, Translation and Architecture. University is the largest university in the state.
- Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Languages
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Manuscriptology
- Faculty of Developing Tamil
The University provides separate hostels to boys and girls.
- The hostels are large and highly comfortable for all the students.
- The environment of the hostels is beautiful and ideal for studying.
- They provide healthy foods and clear water.
The main features of the library have been highlighted below:
- A collection of around 1,36,324 books.
- Total number of periodicals is 393.
- A collection of few rare personal collections of great scholars.
- Total digital cataloging system.
- Also available are Photostat machines, linguaphone records, video cassettes, audio cassettes, CD’s for reference.
Gallery And Museum:
The museum of the Tamil University has a rare collection of Tamil arts, tradition and culture. It provides all the important materials for the research activities on social and historical aspects of the people of Tamil Nadu.
- The museum and the gallery are located in one part of the historical palace called Maratha in the center of the city of Thanjavur.
- A collection of 3000 objects about crafts, arts and general material of the ancient era of Tamil Nadu.
- Highly modern sophisticated methods are used for collection, presentation, preservation, education and research works in the museum.
- During office hours on working days all general public can also visit the museum.